Re: Issue 302: Graph edges that do not terminate

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:58:52 -0400
Cc: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>, Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, XMLP Dist App <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com

On Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002, at 14:24 US/Eastern,
noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Actually, I think the status quo does support multiples of what you are
> calling roots, which I take to be named edges with no source.  What
> about
> (augmenting on the example from my note of a few minutes ago):
>
>         <A id="Aid" env:encodingStyle="...soap encoding...">
> <!--struct-->
>                 <B>1</B>
>                 <C>2</C>
>         </A>
>         <X ref= "Aid" env:encodingStyle="...soap encoding..."/>
>
> I'm still a little vague as to whether we allow this, but I think we
> do.
> Doesn't it correspond to the following?
>

>        |     |
>        |     |
>       A|     | X
>        |     |
>        |     |
>      -----------
>      | Struct  |
>      -----------
>         |    |
>         |    |
>        B|    |C
>         |    |
>        "1"  "2"

I'm glad it isn't just me that read it that way. I can't see why we
would rule this out in the general case even when we add such a
restriction for the RPC use case of encoding - I think the current text
in the RPC section calls that out already:

"4.2.3 SOAP Encoding Restriction

When using SOAP encoding (see 3. SOAP Encoding) in conjunction with the
RPC convention described here, the SOAP Body MUST contain only a single
child element information item, that child being the serialized RPC
invocation or response struct or array."

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Sun Microsystems.