Re: Proposal for issue 306: Is use of Appendix A optional?

On Thursday, Sep 5, 2002, at 19:06 US/Eastern,
noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I think I agree with what I take to be Jacek's position.  2.1.1 is
> fine is
> written prior to this discussion.  Edge names >are< Qnames in the
> model,
> therefore cannot raise the problem of being difficult to serialize.
>
> Now, in the case of RPC the situation is different.  There we
> explicitly
> state that our purpose is to provide a means of representing method
> names
> and named arguments that often originate in some (unspecified) external
> system.  It is those external method and argument names that
> potentially
> violate the rules of a QName, therefore I think it's appropriate that
> the
> reference to appendix B go in the RPC section.  I am fairly strongly
> opposed to putting it in 2.1.1, as that seems incoherent (for the
> reason
> above).

+1 for putting it in the RPC section, that's where application defined
names run into XML restrictions. I could live with it in 2.1.1 but I
think it makes more sense in 4.2.1 and 4.2.2.

> Regarding MAY vs. MUST, I think the answer might be SHOULD.
>
> <existing 4.2.1>
> The invocation is represented by a single struct or array containing an
> outbound edge for each [in] or [in/out] parameter. The struct or array
> is
> named identically to the procedure or method name (see B. Mapping
> Application Defined Names to XML Names).
>
> Each outbound edge either has a label corresponding to the name of the
> parameter (see B. Mapping Application Defined Names to XML Names) or a
> position corresponding to the position of the parameter.
> </existing 4.2.1>
> <proposed>
> The invocation is represented by a single struct or array containing an
> outbound edge for each [in] or [in/out] parameter. The struct or array
> is
> named identically to the procedure or method name (the conventions of
> B.
> Mapping Application Defined Names to XML Names SHOULD be used to
> represent
> method names that are not legal XML names.).
>
> Each outbound edge either has a label corresponding to the name of the
> parameter (the conventions of B. Mapping Application Defined Names to
> XML
> Names SHOULD be used to represent parameter names that are not legal
> XML
> names) or a position corresponding to the position of the parameter.
> </proposed>

+1 with a corresponding addition to 4.2.2.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Sun Microsystems.