RE: Proposal for issue 390

Yes, I think we're saying the same thing. Bottom line, if the reference in
the SOAP
message needs to be changed to accomodate a change in the value of the
identifier used to identify the referenced resource (attachment) that
would
not be "a good thing(tm)".

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

David Orchard wrote on 10/28/2002 10:06:26 PM:

> +1 to most of chris's comments.  However, I don't agree with his
suggested change.  My statement
> "In some cases, it seems likely a move from use of a resource on the
>        web to adding a part to the package could result in a need to
modify
>        the representation of any reference to that resource."
>
> is accurate. I'm calling out that a SOAP document is a representation.
SOAP documents may contain
> references to resources.  Therefore, the reference to a resource in a
SOAP document is actually
> part of a representation.  So changing the URIs for an attachment is
changing the representation,
> specifically the representation of the reference.
>
> Perhaps a clearer statement would be:
>
>         "In some cases, it seems likely a move from use of a resource on
the
>        web to adding a part to the package could result in a need to
modify
>        the value of any identifier of that resource."
>

> Cheers,
> Dave
Behalf Of Christopher B Ferris
> Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 10:50 AM
> To: Carine Bournez
> Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Proposal for issue 390

> Carine,
>
> Please see below.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christopher Ferris
> Architect, Emerging e-business Industry Architecture
> email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
> phone: +1 508 234 3624
>
> Carine Bournez wrote on 10/27/2002 11:19:55 AM:
>

> > Issue 390 [0] is part of WSA's review of the AF document.
> >
> > The first part of the issue is a general request to explain why and
> > when using the attachments (rather than links to resources):
> >
> >   " We recommend the XML Protocol Working Group
> >     to document the motivations for using the SOAP Attachment Feature,
> >     for example with a set of usage scenarios."
> >
> > AF doc's introduction [1] partly gives an answer, from an encoding
> > point of view. But at the application level, it seems to be out of
scope
> > of this document to provide guidelines about using attachments or not.

> I don't believe the WSA WG was asking for a set of application
guidelines as
> much as some sample generalized use cases that illustrated the
motivation for
> possible applicability of the attachment feature.
>
> > Usage scenarios would at least depend on the bindings used by the
> > application.
> >
> > The second part of the issue asks clarifications about how resources
> > on the web (referenced by a URI) are added as a part (how a change of
> > reference is handled):
> >
> >     " For example, a reference in a SOAP element might be
> >     <http://example.com/Sound.wav>.  My SOAP application now uses
> >     some SOAP attachment feature, perhaps MIME. The representation is
> >     now identified by <cid:someidentifierforSoundwav>. "
> >
> > If a SOAP node is able to do this change it means that it may have
good
> > reason to do so (e.g. next node will be unable to resolve the URI),
and it
> > means that this node is aware of the processing capabilities of the
next
> > node, in that case it acts as the terminal node and is able to change
the
> > nature of the SOAP message. Also, although the bit-level
representation of
> > http://example.com/Sound.wav and <cid:someidentifierforSoundwav> may
not
> > be the same over time. Ie: those two references are NOT the same and
have
> > a different semantic.
>
> The "semantics" of the resource at a given URI should not change over
time.
> The "state" of a resource MAY change as a function of time. See [1].
>
> However, this response does not (IMO) address the issue/concern of the
WSA WG.