Re: Proposal for clarifying relationship between SOAP modules and features

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:08:57 +0100
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> And to shorten the second paragraph as follows:
>
> "The term 'SOAP module' refers to the specification of the syntax and
> semantics of one or more SOAP header blocks. A module specification
> adheres to the following rules. It:..."

I'd like to suggest the following friendly amendment:

<friendlyAmendment>
*A* SOAP Module refers to the *combined* specification of the
syntax and semantics of one or more SOAP header blocks. *A SOAP
module implements one or more SOAP features.* A module
specification adheres to the following rules. It:...
</friendlyAmendment>

I'd also suggest that we lift the above definition (or a revised
version thereof) and add it to the glossary. There is currently
no definition for SOAP Module!

> And in list item 5 replace "(whether or not those features are
> themselves modules)" with
> "and SOAP modules" so that the item reads:
>
> "5. MUST clearly specify any known interactions with or changes to the
> interpretation of the SOAP body. Furthermore, it MUST clearly specify
> any known interactions with or changes to the interpretation of other
> SOAP features and SOAP modules. [...]"

I think this adds confusion rather than clarity, since a module
is an implementation of a feature. I don't think we need the
extra "add SOAP modules". I'd suggest ending the sentence with
just "of other SOAP features."

+1 to your other changes.

Jean-Jacques.