Re: [getf] Proposal for Web-friendly representation of RPC's in SOAP

Just wanted to add my 2c.

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 05:34:15PM +0100, Williams, Stuart wrote:
> Ok... I was really wanting to understand you specific use "additional
> parameters" in:
>
> <quote>
> That is, it is not the case in HTTP that the entity-body always
> can be used to carry additional parameters, it is up to the particular
> method.
> </quote>
>
> I was wanting to understand whether you were talking about the availability
> of an entity-body on an HTTP request, or if you were talking about
> constraints on what such an entity body is allowed to contain/be used for.

I believe he meant the latter.

POST's definition allows some wiggle room for introducing a hook for
the SOAP processing model to dispatch from; that you can introduce a
piece of software (dispatched from SOAPAction in 1.1 and the media
type in the 1.2 default binding) to do the SOAP-specific processing
on the headers, before handing it off to do the HTTP POST for the
SOAP body.

PUT's definition doesn't allow this wiggle room; what's in the body is
the desired state of the resource identified by the Request-URI.
Period.

If we cared, we could do PUT with SOAP by defining a new HTTP method,
"SOAP-PUT".  It would provide the hook.

MB