Re: 2xx/202 and "a priori"

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:05:20 -0400
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:53:51AM -0400, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I'm not an HTTP expert.  You're saying that a typical HTTP server, when
> confronted with a POST that it does not understand, responds with a
> "success" code (I.e. 204)?  Who woulda thought?

I'm not claiming it's typical, just that it is a perfectly valid thing
to do as an HTTP application.  I provided an example that demonstrated
this earlier;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002Apr/0205

The issue is that "understand" is defined solely by the service.  For
a save-to-disk service, it might choose to "understand" everything.
This is a result of POST's definition in RFC 2616, which says;

   "The actual function performed by the POST method is determined by
    the server [...]"

>  BTW: to which message of
> Henrik's are you referring?

Primarily the last paragraph of this one, though it doesn't explicitly
reference the form example (which was from a w3c-xml-protocol-wg post);

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002May/0042

MB