HTTP intermediaries and SOAP

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:37:15 -0500 (EST)
To: rayw@netscape.com (Ray Whitmer)
Cc: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, chris.ferris@sun.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Hi Ray,

> I would appreciate a better description.  How does it leave the HTTP
> intermediary out of sync with the SOAP/HTTP processors?  Why does a
> fault have to be any more than just a message in this case?

In the chameleon use, both SOAP and HTTP work at the application layer.
That means a SOAP fault is an HTTP fault.  That's all, really.

While a non-SOAP HTTP intermediary doesn't know another about the SOAP
envelope, there's still additional information available to it with
which value-add can be provided (HTTP headers, response codes, and the
HTTP method in use to transfer the envelope).  Resource-Type, a recently
proposed[1] header, is enormously valuable to HTTP intermediaries, and
usable with or without SOAP.

 [1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palmer-resrep-type-00.txt

MB