RE: Final Proposal for Issue 41

Amr,

A couple of things... firstly the issue is about the there being no
provision *within a SOAP envelope* to identify the target "program, service
or object " so... I think the first sentence need to be extended with
"...within a SOAP Envelope." I think this is true of the ultimate recipient,
but we do provide a means (within the envelope) to identify the role that
SOAP header blocks are targetted to.

I am also uncomfortable that we place the responsibility on application
designers to effectively develop routing extensions for themselves. I think
applications designers will be looking to us for a set of standardised SOAP
extensions - otherwise we head for an interoperability nightmare.So, I
believe that responsibility comes back to this group (probably under some
future charter) to provide a single standardised extension for the
expression of message paths and the identification of ultimate recipients.

<amended proposal>
Add the following text to (Part 1 Section 7: Use of URI in SOAP):

SOAP 1.2 does not provide any normative means to carry the identity of the
ultimate recipient within a SOAP envelope. SOAP 1.2 does provide a means to
identify the roles that a SOAP header block is targetted to.

SOAP 1.2 does not provide any normative means for the expression of a
message path with a SOAP envelope. However, it does provide means for the
development of SOAP extensions that provides for such expression within SOAP
header blocks. [Work to define a message routing extension for SOAP may be
the subject of future WG activity within the W3C.]
</amended proposal>

For the most part we have not actually addressed the issue, and I think we
should say so rather than cast it as a responsibility on the app.developer.
I've put the lats sentence in [] to make it optional, since it sets some
expectation - which may be inappropriate given that they lay outside our
current charter.

Regards

Stuart