SOAP 1.2 Usage Scenarios

From: Gaertner, Dietmar <Dietmar.Gaertner@softwareag.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:44:20 +0100
To: "'john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com'" <john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com>
Cc: "'jacek@systinet.com'" <jacek@systinet.com>, "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Hi John,

at the F2F in Mandelieu Jacek an I (replacing DavidF) took an action item
to review the Usage Scenarios. Following is my review summary; Jacek
will provide his in a later reply.

Regards, Dietmar.

---

- title "XML Protocol Usage Scenarios" --> "SOAP 1.2 Usage Scenarios" ?

- The described usage scenarios are very good and cover a lot of
  reasonable application scenarios.

- There are a few other usage scenarios which I could imagine would
  fit well into the list. My favorites are scenarios with intelligent
  intermediaries which are capable of doing transformations of the
  message content and/or do content based routing.

- the numbering scheme for the senarios is not consistent (or else
  it is not clear what the scheme is):
  S1-S8, S10, S11, S19-S21, S23, S805, S807, S810, DS17, DS24.

- many of the figures are indented too much or are too large,
  such that they get cut off when printed in portrait format

- section 2.3.2 text:
  "... the processing application would generate the *a* document..."

- section 2.5.2 text:
  "... A Status Handler *on* registered..." - remove
  "... and places it *in* the response..."  - add

- section 2.6.2 Example: encrypted SOAP message:
  old SOAP-ENV prefix and schema used
  mustUndestand="1" - change to "true"
  EDNOTE there. Still required?

- root attribute: I guess that the F2F resolution of issue 78
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlp-comments/2002Mar/0002.html
  requires to add root attributes all over the place in the
  examples.

- section 2.16.1 text:
  "SOAP module" term not defined in the spec
  "... >Cacheability..." - remove ">"

- section 2.21.2 text:
  "actor" --> role
  "QoS" and "QOS" - make consistent, e.g. always "QoS"