Re: Web-friendly SOAP

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:30:53 -0400
To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 10:04:51PM -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
> No, nothing foolish about the question. I would say that one of the
> defining characteristics of the Web is that it is a *web of links*. That
> means that any document may refer to any other document with a URI and
> there is some clear way to turn that URI into some information. So no,
> I'm not defining the web in terms of HTTP. FTP also has that property.
> news: also has that property.

Just an observation ...

FTP and Usenet did not have that property until long after they were
created; URIs gave it to them.  But FTP and NNTP still don't know what a
URI is, whereas HTTP does.  In a round about way, that's why HTTP is
special.

I challenge anybody to design an application protocol that knows what a
URI is (not just one kind/scheme, but *any* URI), that doesn't have
methods that mean the same as HTTP GET, PUT, POST, etc..

MB