Re: Web-friendly SOAP

I certainly hope that the SOAP effort retains the "transport agnostic" goal.
One of the reasons that the ICE 2 effort (http://www.icestandard.org) is
adopting SOAP is that it allows ICE to adopt a single messaging layer, and
gain multiple transport bindings automagically. This is better for everyone
than if ICE defines its own bindings to each protocol, as is required by the
pre-SOAP ICE 1.0 standard (1998).

Realistically, 99% of the time ICE is used over HTTP, and I would assume the
same for SOAP, so that combination needs to be well defined (for
interoperability) and work reasonably well. But it's important not to always
require HTTP, because that would prohibit the use of SOAP and SOAP-based
protocols (e.g. ICE 2) over multicast, UDP, SMTP, etc., all of which are
quite valuable in certain contexts (e.g. Satellite broadcast of syndicated
data, high-speed local data feeds, loosely coupled asynchronous
participants, etc.).

- Laird Popkin
  Chair, ICE Authoring Group
  laird@io.com

P.S. Anyone interested in the ICE 2 effort (moving ICE to SOAP/WSDL/UDDI,
formalizing protocol modularity) is invited to join the ice-dev mailing list
on Yahoo Groups.