Re: Request/response correlation in Email/SMTP binding

At 09:59 AM 7/26/02 +0200, Lars von Wedel wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm interested in wiring SOAP via SMTP/POP/IMAP/... I saw a couple
>of proposals as well as some messages on the list and the current
>state of an email binding (let me call it like this) seems to be
>an ongoing discussion.
>
>My goal is to extend an existing SOAP implementation using HTTP
>towards sending via SMTP and retrieving via POP/IMAP.
>
>The main question I have at this time is how to establish a
>correspondence
>between a requests and its response: I've seen proposals for using
>the Message-ID and In-reply-to headers, but somewhere else I read
>that correspondence should be handled on the application level.
>
>What is the (currently) preferred view of handling request/response
>correlation for SOAP over Email?

Doing this kind of thing over Internet email protocols raises some tricky
architectural issues with the protocols.  Some of these are tackled in a
recent RFC:
   ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3297.txt
(which deals with content negotiation in email.)

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>