Request/response correlation in Email/SMTP binding

From: Lars von Wedel <lvonwedel@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:59:49 +0200
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Hello,

I'm interested in wiring SOAP via SMTP/POP/IMAP/... I saw a couple
of proposals as well as some messages on the list and the current
state of an email binding (let me call it like this) seems to be
an ongoing discussion.

My goal is to extend an existing SOAP implementation using HTTP
towards sending via SMTP and retrieving via POP/IMAP.

The main question I have at this time is how to establish a
correspondence
between a requests and its response: I've seen proposals for using
the Message-ID and In-reply-to headers, but somewhere else I read
that correspondence should be handled on the application level.

What is the (currently) preferred view of handling request/response
correlation for SOAP over Email?

Lars