Re: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 02:28:56PM +0100, Marc Hadley wrote:
> I couldn't find this response in any of your replies, but I'll take your
> word for it.

Sorry, it was primarily in my responses to Stuart, not to you.  And it
wasn't as concise as that description.

> Your reply is puzzling, are you are claiming that POST and
> GET don't describe how entity bodies are exchanged -

The meaning of GET and POST, don't, no.  But in the context of the
connection-based HTTP 1.1, GET and POST do inherit some restrictions
that impact the MEPs that can be used.  For example, HTTP 1.1 says that
a request has a single response, that the response has to appear on the
same connection as the request, that response ordering has to match
request ordering on persistent connections, etc..  So any MEP would have
to account for these things when using HTTP.  But some other application
protocol that does GET and POST might come along (like Roy Fielding's
"Waka") and it might not have those same restrictions.

I hope that's clear, because it's my best stab at explaining it. 8-O

> doesn't the
> description of POST say that it can carry an entity body in the request
> and response whereas GET can only carry an entity body in the response ?

Sure.  But that only impacts the ability to transfer a SOAP message, not
the pattern with which it is exchanged.

MB