RE: SOAP Encoding - Arrays

From: Don Box <dbox@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:55:18 -0800
To: "Simon Fell" <soap@zaks.demon.co.uk>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
The reason for the SOAP:array attribute was two fold:

1) We wanted the conformance (capacity) of the array to appear in the
initial element. This is super important for supporting both Java/CLR
and for NDR/CDR efficiently.

2) We wanted the equivalent of xsi:type but with support for arrays (and
arguably typed references). Unfortunately, SOAP/1.1 and earlier were
written during a period of immense churn over in Schemas, so SOAP/1.1
never had a chance to really finish this off.

DB