RE: Rules for intermediaries handling of PIs, whitespace, etc.

From: Joseph Hui <jhui@digisle.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:22:26 -0800
To: "Don Mullen" <donmullen@tibco.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Equally important to defining the rules and yet much more challenging
is defining a viable mechanism (or at least the requirements for such
mechanism) to enforce the rules.  I for one would like to see W3C
accomplish what IETF couldn't in dealing with intermediaries in ways
that can *safely* allow for intermediary processing -- which inevitably
results in altering data byte wise -- without setting off yet another
end-to-end religious war.

On defining rules, perhaps we should strive to achieve an ultimate
goal: a standards rule set to render any given SOAP document in a
canonical form.  E.g. parserA and parserB may exercise different
features on a SOAP doc, but they MUST produce the same output if
the rule set kicks in.

Regards,

Joe Hui
Digital Island, a Cable & Wireless company