XML Schema list simple type

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:45:17 +0100 (CET)
To: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
 Gudge,
 I'm asking you as an XML Schema language expert (the only one I
know of):
 in SOAP Encoding arrays we have the attribute arraySize that has
the value a list of sizes. The size can be a positiveInteger,
except that the first position can also specify an asterisk which
means "the highest dimension is not specified beforehand".
 For example, arraySize="5 3" is an array 5x3 elements, while
arraySize="* 3" is an array of an unspecified number of 3-column
rows. This should be easy to represent in Schema: a List of a
simple type that either is an asterisk or a positiveInteger.
 The asterisk, if present, must be only the leftmost position,
though, because otherwise the handling would be ambiguous. Is
this constraint representable in a schema simple type?
 In the current editor's copy, we have a BNF notation but I'd
prefer if the schema for Encoding could convey that.
 Best regards,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   http://www.systinet.com/