Re: One-way messaging in SOAP 1.2

From: Noah Mendelsohn <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:55:23 -0500
To: "Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris" <chris.ferris@sun.com>
Cc: "marc.hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>, "skw" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "xml-dist-app" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Chris Ferris suggests (regarding how to identify a one way message from a
request expecting response):

>> Well, I guess it could be either a
>> separate binding in which case it
>> could be bound to a specific URI
>> endpoint.  Or, it could be expressed
>> in terms of SOAP header block
>> that identified the MEP.

Those are options.  Why not do it this way:

* In the binding framework, state that:  "Binding specifications that
support more than one MEP MUST specify the means by which the recipient of
a message can determine the MEP being used.

* In the HTTP binding state:  "This binding specification provides the
following means for distinguishing use of the one way MEP from requests
send using the Request/Response MEP:
- A SOAPMessagePattern: HTTP header is defined with the values 'OneWay' or
'RequestResponse' (perhaps these should be URI's for extensibility?)
- The MEP MAY be implicit in the URI used to deliver the message
- In situations where more than one MEP is used in conjunction with a
single destination address, the SOAPMessagePattern HTTP header MUST be used
to identify the MEP.

We could instead go with your suggestion that HTTP depend on a header in
the envelope.  I'm nervous that you don't really want to parse the XML
before making the determination.  I'm also a bit nervous about more HTTP
headers, but on balance I think we need something outside the envelope.

In any case, I really do think the framework should make it the
responsibility of the binding to convey the MEP in use (explicitly or
implictly -- for example, if a binding only supports one MEP, then there is
no need to send anything with the message).  What do you think about this
approach?

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142