Re: Article: Fat protocols slow Web services

From: John Ibbotson <john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:59:30 +0000
To: "Frank D. Greco" <fgreco@crossroadstech.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

>    People have been doing application integration for decades.
>    Most of it, as Francis mentions, is/was ad hoc.  Wall Street
>    has been using rpc, corba, tooltalk, tibco and home-grown
>    integration frameworks for a *long* time.  I've been doing this
>    type of work since the late 80's.
>
>    I hope you SOAP-ists don't think that "behind the firewall"
>    app integration is a new thing.

Don't worry Frank, some of us are making sure that SOAP is up to the job
for
asynchronous and synchronous connectivity. There is still a lot of
education
needed within the internet community on the advantages of asynchronous
messaging :-)

>    The primary benefit of SOAP is *across* the firewall.  I sincerely
doubt
>    you'd convince the major global investment banks that SOAP is superior
>    to what they already have for *internal* applications.  Maybe in
>    a few years when SOAP (et al) frameworks are available, but not now.
>
>    Frank G.

John

XML Technology and Messaging,
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park,
Winchester, SO21 2JN

Tel: (work) +44 (0)1962 815188        (home) +44 (0)1722 781271
Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898
Notes Id: John Ibbotson/UK/IBM
email: john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com