Re: Article: Fat protocols slow Web services

From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:47:14 +0000
To: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Hi Mike,

Champion, Mike wrote:

 > Would anyone seriously disagree that the current generation of
 > SOAP-based technologies is a much easier "sell" for application
 > integration behind the firewall than it is for wide deployment over
 >  the internet? Or am I missing the point here entirely?

I've been doing pc-mainframe integration of one kind or another for a
dozen years or so now and one client that sticks in my mind was trying
to build an "object-interface to the mainframe". Another client wanted
to let his supliers check stock levels and take charge of resupply. And
another had a contractor in to build a repository of pc-mainframe
transactions so that they wouldn't get lost, rebuilt or broken.

All looks so pretty much like Web Services with private UDDI, to me.

Francis.