Request openning of new issue on changes to headers at intermediaries

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:54:42 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
While considering issue 174 [1] on the telcon  today, we stumbled on a
broader question.  Specifically:  I had assumed that a SOAP intermediary
relaying an unprocessed header would preserve its contents
character-for-character, probably including whitespace, but certainly
preserving the exact form of attribute values, namespace prefices, etc.
Henrik made the case that many SOAP processors will parse a message into
abstract form, with the result that relayed headers may for example change:

     mustUnderstand="1"

     mustUnderstand="true"

Essentially, the question is how much of XML canonicalization may be done
by an intermediary relaying a header.  We agreed to open a new issue for
this.  This note is to request openning of the issue.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.html#x174

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142