Re: issue 168 proposal: xsi:type of external references in Encoding

From: Noah Mendelsohn <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:20:54 -0500
To: "Jacek Kopecky <jacek" <jacek@systinet.com>
Cc: "xml-dist-app" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Jacek Kopecky writes:

>> IMO this shows that in SOAP Encoding we don't
>> really want either
>>  1) the strong requirement that every value
>>     is XSD typed, or
>>  2) to use XSD simple types, or
>>  3) to allow external references.
>> Pick one. I favor 3 over 1 over 2. 8-)

The wording of 1 is potentially ambiguous.  It might be taken to mean that
we want a design where:

1a) It's OK to have values that are untyped
- or -
1B) All values must be typed, but some of those types need not be XSD types
(e.g. some might be MIME types or some such)

My own leanings would be either toward 1a (base typing on XSD, but allow
untyped nodes), with a second choice of 3 (external hrefs are not
considered part of the encoded graph at all.)

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142