RE: xsi:type for multiref targets.

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:27:08 -0500
To: "'Rich Salz'" <rsalz@zolera.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> >       <target id="x" xsi:type="xsd:integer">25</target>
> > Well, that doesn't work!  The element named target is not of type
> > integer, because it has an attribute (id=").
>
> I must be dense.  Why?  Please use little words.

Because xsd:integer is a fixed content model that excludes any other
content, including attributes. xsi:type is a special built-in exception.

I ran into the same thing in SAML trying to add an attribute to the
AttributeValue element while still using simple xsd types. The wrapper
solution is about the best you can do, since the only other option seems
to be creating a whole hierarchy of new base types that extend each xsd
type with the attribute ("id" in this case).

-- Scott