Re: Issue 133: SOAP and Web Architecture: Draft sentences for HTTP bi nding preamble.

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 05:05:22 -0500 (EST)
To: moreau@crf.canon.fr (Jean-Jacques Moreau)
Cc: mnot@mnot.net (Mark Nottingham), marting@develop.com (Martin Gudgin), paulp@ActiveState.com (Paul Prescod), skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Williams Stuart), xml-dist-app@w3.org
SOAP, in a Web-architecture friendly view, has unfortunately chosen to
take advantage of just one HTTP method, and not even the most useful one
IMHO (that one being GET - and not the use that AndrewL suggests).  But
as long as it uses POST, and the binding we define permits POST
semantics to be used by developers, I'm ok with it.  Whether SOAP
existed or not, you'd still have people misusing POST (see IPP for
example).

The battle to be fought isn't (any longer 8-) with the SOAP
specification, but is with developers and ISVs.  So far, it's clear
that neither of these parties are making very good use of Web
architecture, and IMHO, when that comes back to bite them, they'll at
least be able to go back and use SOAP in the <ahem/> "right" way. 8-)

I am happy with the resolution of issue of 133.

MB