Re: Issue 195: slightly updated simple proposal

 Gudge,
 in your proposal RPC affects two layers of data - the XML
serialization (the infoset) and the graph data.
 Deserialization: We cannot say "the edge which has the attribute
rpc:return" because an edge has no such thing as an attribute. So
on the XML level we could select the element which has the
attribute and then deserialize the whole structure and
independently the return value. We'd get two graphs, one subset
of the other. Since the graph data model doesn't even know about
IDs, there'd be no way of correlating the result graph with one
of the out parameters so we wouldn't know which parameter we
don't have to deal with any more.
 Serialization: the RPC processor will have the result struct
serialized, which results in XML without the attribute. It then
has to go through this XML data *with the knowledge of the used
Encoding* and put the attribute on the appropriate element.
 Of course there can be a special SOAP Encoding processor that
knows about this metadata but this is in fact equivalent to the
extended data model and an encoding thereof.
 I don't think that encodingStyle is an example of such metadata
- it has no effect on the data model layer.
 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/