RE: Proposal for cleanup of RPC section (issue 195)

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:56:31 -0700
To: "Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM" <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek@systinet.com>
Cc: "Ray Whitmer" <rayw@netscape.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

FWIW (and take this with a grain of salt). I can live quite happily
without support for positional [in][out] parameters but just as a
proposal - if we want to go there then maybe we can get around the
current problem by saying that we *always* use a struct with or without
a "result" (status quo) and then model positional parameters as an array
within the struct:

 <s:Body s:encodingStyle="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-encoding">
   <m:MyResponse xmlns:m="http://www.example.org/foo/bar">
      <r:result
xmlns:r="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-rpc">...</r:result>
      <m:MyParams e:itemType="xs:int">
         <item>1</item>
         <item>56</item>
      </m:MyParams>
   </m:MyResponse>
 </s:Body>

Does this make sense - am I missing something obvious?

Henrik