new to xml

From: daniel mcelligott <daniel_mcelligott@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:31:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Hi Folks,

I am a molecular biologist that is trying to do data transformation between
databases using xml for micro-array information. The databases will be both
relational and object-orientated. I have got some idea on how i would design
the transfer plan, but i am hoping that i might some more advice here. I
will be using xml only for data-centric purposes. Do I still need to
construct a DTD? If so would an xml-schema be better? Will i need to convert
all xml documents from each database into a common xsl document? What query
language would be best...assuming some databases are xml-enabled and some
aren't? Any advice at all would be useful

thanks

Daniel