Re: Updated proposal for issue 192

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

 > 1) As to the question of determining when a SOAP fault is recognized
 >  as an "active" fault in a SOAP message by referring to the text
 > already in SOAP 1.2, part 1 [1]:
 >
 > "To be recognized as carrying SOAP error information, a SOAP message
 >  MUST contain exactly one SOAP Fault as the only child element of
 > the SOAP body. A SOAP fault element information item MAY appear
 > within a SOAP header block, or as a descendant of a child element
 > information item of the SOAP body; but, in such cases, the element
 > has no SOAP-defined semantics."

This implies that if I have a body with a fault as a direct child but
the body also has additional child elements then the message isn't
recognised as carrying fault info. Seems a bit arbitrary to me.

This is why the idea of moving the fault outside the body and making
messages either carry a body or a fault appealed to me. Lots of
commentators were in favour of this change and I therefore think we
should consider its merits further.

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.