Re: Proposal for cleanup of RPC section (issue 195)

From: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:57:27 -0400
To: "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Cc: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>, Herve Ruellan <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Jean-Jacques Moreau writes:

>> Wouldn't this add a dependency on WSDL? I don't think we should go
there.

An emphatic +1.  One of the very important things about SOAP RPC messages
is that they are to a significant degree self describing.  This is a great
importance for use of SOAP in dynamically typed languages, for which use
of WSDL is often inappropriate.  It's highly desirable, IMO, if I can
inspect a SOAP RPC message and tell by looking only at that message "this
is a call on a method named X with arguments named A1, A2, .. (or supplied
by position, which I can determine from the use of the array
construction).  I believe we have this today.

Similarly, I think it is important to be able to understand and RPC
response without reference to WSDL.  I am concerned that proposal for void
returns does not have this self describing characteristic.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142