Re: Proposal for cleanup of RPC section (issue 195)

From: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:17:09 -0400
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Cc: Ray Whitmer <rayw@netscape.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Jacek Kopecky writes:

>> * In the array representation of the response,
>> the return value outbound edge is the first
>> member of the array if the return value of the
>> procedure is non-void. The return value outbound
>> edge MUST NOT be present if the return value of
>> the procedure is void, therefore the first edge
>> is the first [out] or [in/out] parameter.

Is it intentional that when modeling a function with positional [out]
arguments, we cannot reliably determine whether the return value is void
unless we have external knowledge of the method signature and the number
of arguments expected?  For a function taking a variable number of
arguments, it would seem to be impossible to determine in general whether
the return value was void.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142