Re: Comments from a Read-Through of Part 1

Now to the moderate ones...

Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM wrote:

> Moderate Importance
> -------------------
>
> * Section 5.4.2: Should we allow xml:lang on faultString?  This will
> probably be a concern for the internationalization folks.

Raised as an issue.

> * We seem to be somewhat inconsistent in our use of qualified and
> unqualified names.  For example, the upgrade element itself is qualified,
> but within it, elements are unqualified.

Not done.

> * Section 1.6.2: definition of SOAP header block: the first sentence
> defines the block as "an element information item used to delimit..."; the
> last sentence says "The type of a SOAP header block is identified by the
> fully qualified name of the outer element information item of the block".
> This seems somewhat inconsistent.  If the header block is defined as "an
> element", and how can it have "an outer element"?  There is only one.  It
> would probably better to reword the last sentence as "The type of a SOAP
> header block is identified by the fully qualified name of the block element
> information item."

Done.

> * Section 2.3, last paragraph: remove the paragraph, which says that the
> ultimate SOAP receiver must process the message body, and that the message
> path for the message ends at its ultimate SOAP receiver.  Both statements
> are true, but they do not belong in this section, and are redundant with
> statements made elsewhere.

Done.

> * Section 2.6,paragraph beginning "SOAP nodes can make reference to any
> information in the SOAP envelope".  That sentence should read SOAP nodes
> MAY make reference to any information..."

Done.

> * Section 4.1, suggest rewording of item 2 in the list: Original: "To
> facilitate homogeneous description of bindings that support common
> features".  Proposed provision: "To facilitate homogeneous description in
> situations where multiple bindings support common features."  The point is
> that we are dealing with situations where multiple bindings are involved.
> The original wording suggested that a single binding might be supporting
> commonly used features.

Done.

>  That said, I think my proposed rewording is still
> a bit lumpy, so some further wordsmithing might be needed.

Not done.

> * (not urgent, but closely tied to the change above) Section 4.1, suggest
> rewording of item 3 in the list: Original: "To facilitate homogeneous
> description of optional features."  Propose provision:  "To facilitate
> consistency in the specification of optional features."

Done.

> * Section 5.1.1, and its third paragraph: Original "then no claims are made
> regarding the encoding style of that element information item".  Proposed
> revision:  "then no claims are made regarding the encoding style of that
> element information item and its descendants".

Done.

> *Section 5.2.1, last sentence of the last paragraph: this paragraph
> basically says that attributes on a header block element may not be
> defaulted.  This more or less duplicates the statement made in section 1.2
> in the paragraph that begins "SOAP does not require any XML schema
> processing...".  Suggest that this be removed from 5.2.1.

Agreed. Done.

> * Section 5.3: there are two bullet lists in this section.  The last entry
> in the first list, and first entry in the second list convey the same
> information.  Both of them indicate that element information item children
> of the body must be namespace qualified.  Duplication should be eliminated.

Ibid. for 5.2. Gudge?

> * Section 5.4: original: "If present, a SOAP Fault MUST appear as a direct
> child of the SOAP body and MUST NOT appear more than once within a SOAP
> Body."  Suggested replacement: "To be recognized as carrying SOAP error
> information, there MUST be exactly one SOAP Fault as the only child element
> of the SOAP body.  A SOAP fault element information item MAY appear within
> a header block, or as a descendant of a child element of the body; in such
> cases the element has no SOAP-defined semantics."

Changed to:
        a SOAP message MUST contain exactly one SOAP <el>Fault</el>,
        and that fault MUST be the only child element of the SOAP body.
        A SOAP fault <emph>element information item</emph> MAY appear within
        a SOAP header block, or as a descendant of a child <emph>element
        information item</emph> of the SOAP body; but, in such cases, the
element has
        no SOAP-defined semantics.</p>

> * Section 5.4.1: the third bullet indicates that a fault code element may
> have one or two child element information items.  The first is a mandatory
> value, the second is an optional subcode.  Question: do we require these to
> occur in order?  The current specification does not say, and therefore
> implies that order is insignificant.  The same question arises later in
> this section in the discussion of subcode.

Raised as an issue.

> * Section 5.4.3:  Suggested clarification:  Original:  "The value of the
> faultactor element information item is the URI that identifies the SOAP
> node that generated the fault"  Proposed clarification: "As described in
> section 2.1, each SOAP node must be identified by a URI.  The value of the
> faultactor element information item is the URI that identifies the SOAP
> node that generated the fault.

s/faultactor/faultnode/. Done.

>  (Note: this URI MAY but need not be the
> same as the URI naming a role assumed by the node.  See section 2.2 for
> information about naming of SOAP roles.)"

Not done. Is this not covered by <faultrole> instead?

> *Section 5.4.5:
> Original:
> "All child element information items of the detail element information item
> are called detail entries.
> Each such element information item:
> MAY be namespace qualified.
> MAY have an encodingStyleattribute information item."
> Question:  Can they have element children?  What about additional
> attributes?

My guess is that not listing them disallows them. Gudge?

> *Section 5.4.8:  Original: "It is NOT a requirement that the fault contain
> the qualified names of ALL header blocks that were not understood in a SOAP
> message. A SOAP node MAY generate a fault immediately upon encountering a
> header block that is not understood containing information about that
> single header block only. Alternatively SOAP nodes MAY generate a combined
> fault containing information about all the header blocks that were not
> understood at once."  I think this formulation conflicts with our
> declaritive approach to specifying processing rules.  In particular, the
> phrase "immediately upon encountering" smacks of a determined processing
> order.  I would suggest the following as an alternative "It is NOT a
> requirement that the fault contain the qualified names of ALL header blocks
> that were not understood in a SOAP message. A SOAP node MAY generate a
> fault for any one or more such blocks."

Swapped the two sentences, i.e. changed to:
   SOAP header blocks that were not understood in a SOAP message.
   It is NOT a requirement that the fault contain the
   qualified names of ALL such blocks.</p>

Thanks again.

Jean-Jacques.