SOAP headers for xmldsig and xenc

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:36:55 -0500
To: "'www-xenc-xmlp-tf'" <www-xenc-xmlp-tf@w3.org>, "'xml-dist-app'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Cc: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, "Takeshi Imamura" <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>, "Maryann Hondo" <mhondo@us.ibm.com>

There's a long standing demand for SOAP headers that can be used with
xlmdsig and xenc. The work shouldn't be hard. We already have proposals: on
the xmldsig side we have [1], on xenc we have [2]. What we don't have yet
is a quorum, a namespace, nor a formal chartered process. However, *if*
someone was willing to volunteer to author such a document:

1. We have the following list with some of the interested folks on it. It
should be used for discussion and convergence on a document.
  www-xenc-xmlp-tf@w3.org
2. I'm confident I could get the proposal a stable namespace.
3. Process wise, such an activity might get picked up somewhere, sometime,
(I favor as part of the Web Services Activity...) but there's no reason to
wait for that. If there's a document in hand, then when some (re)chartering
is at hand, it makes it all that much easier to add it as a deliverable.

If you're interested, let me know. I won't continue this discussion on xenc
or dist-app, if you are interested, join www-xenc-xmlp-tf [3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-dsig/
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xenc-xmlp-tf/2001Dec/0001.html
[3] Subject: subscribe to www-xenc-xmlp-tf-request@w3.org .