RE: T is for Transfer

The points I made were not black and white. My main point was only that
there are applications for which ioctl-like approaches do not work well.
This in no way implies that ioctl-like approaches won't work for other
types of applications, but it's not a panacea.

Also, there is indeed a large number of applications that *do* yield
entire control of their lower layers to middleware. To say that this
will never happen or that "it's a fantasy" is ignoring reality, because
it's already happened, and in fact it's what pays my salary.

--steve