Re: [SOAP Encoding Issue] Most to least specific encodingStyles,HOW?

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:02:57 -0500
To: Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
> I don't see XMI as being multiple encodings. What I meant
> was use of mixed encodings (a little bit of this, a smattering of
> that...)

We seem to have consensus that encodingStyle should be a single URI, not
a list of them in increasing order of specificity.

BTW, I only just realized one way the current specification could be
useful; the sender could refine Sec5 encoding to indicate that no
strings are shared (e.g., pointer_default(unique) in DCE/COM, or
"noalias" in an ANSI C draft). I still think it's too complicated to
deal with, since you can get mostly (exactly?) the same effect by using
the "official" encoding URI as a prefix (last half of penultimate
paragraph of 4.1.1.

We use multiple encodings within a single SOAP message; it's the only
way we can do SOAP RPC where one of the parameters is XML.  The first
and last paragraphs of 4.1.1 (SOAP v1.1) make this possible.
Zolera Systems, Your Key to Online Integrity
Securing Web services: XML, SOAP, Dig-sig, Encryption