Re: SOAP Binding Framework Concerns

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:39:03 +0100
To: Kumeda <kumeda@atc.yamatake.co.jp>
CC: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "'marwan sabbouh'" <ms@mitre.org>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Kumeda wrote:

> Section 5 may be misleading: the text may suggest that there exists a binding
> layer that provides certain functionality. However in 5.1.4 Sample Mappings
> section, the tables show exactly what I modeled as Contract 4, i.e., use service
> primitives provided by the underlying transport layer and use them to carry SOAP
> messages.

PMFJI, but I'm a bit confused about the problem here. What's to stop me
writing a binding spec that provides e.g. reliable request-response over
an unreliable one way transport like UDP ? I.e. where the "binding layer
provides certain functionality" like correlating requests and responses
and adding reliability.

I agree that the binding spec has to show how to carry SOAP messages in
undelying PDUs but that is only part of the job. Am I missing something ?

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.