RE: SOAP Binding Framework Concerns

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:22:42 +0100
To: "'Marwan Sabbouh'" <ms@mitre.org>
Cc: "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Marwan,

Me thinks you may have targetted xml-dist-app by mistake... but no matter.

> I am very concerned with the work taken place on the binding framework.
> It seems as if we are creating a layer that sits between the
> transport/transfer protocol and the SOAP layer.  In my mind, there isn't
> a physical layer that is called the binding layer.  There isn't a
> boundary between SOAP and the delivery protocol.

I think that you will find a spectrum of view points here.

> More importantly, there isn;'t "a contract between SOAP and the
> bindings/underlying protocols that SOAP uses", as described
> in Stuart's email to Glyn Normington.

So there is nothing that SOAP can rely on the underlying protocol to do for
it (no contract)! I think there is and the TBTF is trying to make it modular
in chunks called transport message exchange patterns and features.

> In my mind the contract is between the SOAP sender and
> receiver.  WSDL is a good example of such a contract.  I
> invite the TBTF workingb group to examine it.

I am reasonably familiar with WSDL... that describes a contract between
peers. The contract the TBTF is examining is the contract be SOAP and the
thing(s) that sit beneath it.

> Instead, a Web service that binds itself to a particular protocol,
> is then able to receive messages using that protocol.  In this context,
aSOAP
> processor uses the delivery mechanism specified by this service.

So explain to me how you would describe the services of a particular
protocol (or a protocol plus a binding). How would you describe its
characteristics?

> I am afraid we are making it far more difficult than it needs to be.
> What am I missing?
>
> Marwan

Cheers,

Stuart