Re: SOAP intermediary - issue 70 (cont'd)

+1

There are going to be cases where there are network nodes which do
not perform SOAP processing, do perform SOAP processing, or perform
SOAP processing dependent upon some external criteria (HTTP headers,
URI, phase of the moon, etc.). Also, SOAP is intertwined with
underlying protocol features, esp. routing, leading to general
confusion about what a SOAP node is and is not.

People composing applications with SOAP are going to have to consider
these things, just as people who use HTTP over IP have to think about
getting an IP address.

From our viewpoint, none of this matters; we can only talk about the
range of "SOAP processors", not "the network node that could be a
SOAP processor". However, it's important for us to have a rigid
definition of what a SOAP node is, and how it is identified. I think
that definition blesses any thing which follows the processing model,
step-by-step as a SOAP node.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/