Generic XML Protocols and SOAP

From: <Ed_Hess@Vanguard.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:36:43 -0400
To: "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I'm writing an article on Web services and want to make sure I put SOAP and the
W3C  XML Protocol Working Group in the proper context.  As I understand it, the
XML Prototcol Working Group's task is to produce a simple XML-based messaging
and remote procedure call protocol.  Are new versions of SOAP  the only current
activity?  Are there still other possibilities being considered?

Thanks for your help.

Ed Hess