RE: Possibility of an XML Document Type

Unifying the two - internal embedding or external - means making the
location transparent to applications.
Since XML is a single-document format, linking to information outside of
that document requires more than (basic) XML technology - XLink, etc.
Andrew Laymans suggestion of splitting the encoding and the content type is
good - HTTP messages do this and it has worked well.

Maybe somebody with XLink experience can shed some light on how to reference
data within a document or outside in a transparent manner.

mike