Re: Issue 4 Proposed Resolution (was: why no doc type declaration and PIs in SOAP)

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 14:52:14 +0100
To: Bob Hutchison <hutch@xampl.com>
CC: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@idoox.com>, xml dist <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Bob Hutchison wrote:

> [Marc, I think I sent this only to you not the whole list as I intended.]

For the record my original reply is reposted below.

> So we are talking about accommodating very simple XML processor here. One
> that cannot recognise a DTD or a PI, yet that is smart enough to know how to
> skip over them. Does such a parser exist?
>
> Just wondering.

Some early XML parsers were written in a few lines of Perl using regular
expressions. You can probably still find such things on CPAN I would expect.

The kind of thing I think the people who pushed back on mandating faults
had in mind would be a mobile device with XML parser crammed into as few
bytes as possible. It's certainly possible to be smart enough to
recognise and skip over something but not smart enough to understand
it's contents.

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.