Remove NOTATION type

From: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:56:05 -0000
To: "XML Protocol Discussion" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I suggest we remove the NOTATION complex type ( and attribute declaration )
from the encoding schema.

As several commentators have observed the NOTATION type from the
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema namespace should only be used with
attributes. However, the extended NOTATION type in the
http://www.w3.org/2001/09/soap-envelope namespace adds the standard SOAP
attributes, id and href. Obviously an attribute cannot itself have
attributes.

I'm reasonably confident that removing this type from the encoding schema
will have zero impact on implementations ( because AFAIK no one is using
the
NOTATION type ). If anyone is using the NOTATION type please speak up!

Comments, flames and counter proposals to the usual address

Martin Gudgin
DevelopMentor