RE: Proposal for hierarchical fault codes

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:19:37 -0500
To: "'Henrik Frystyk Nielsen'" <henrikn@microsoft.com>, "'Martin Gudgin'" <marting@develop.com>, "'Rich Salz'" <rsalz@zolera.com>
Cc: "'XML Protocol Discussion'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> Reviewing this item, I am of the impression that the proposal
> included in this mail is the current status of how to deal
> with multiple fault codes modulo the DataEncodingUnknown
> fault being moved out of the core set and hence dealt with as
> a "sub" fault? I should say that I like this proposal!
>
> Is this correct?

I was about to send out a request for a status update as to this
proposal wrt SOAP 1.3 (or whatever).

I need to put a proposal together for a SAML 1.0 status code structure
that is supposed to be modeled after SOAP, and was wondering if this new
approach without the dots for subcodes was going to be adopted by SOAP
or not, and if so, which of Martin's suggestions was being looked at.

(Rich Salz correctly suggested that we could just import the SOAP fault,
but there were some objections to tying the specs that way and so
copying it as a starting point is more likely to happen.)

Scott Cantor
cantor.2@osu.edu
Office of Info Tech
The Ohio State Univ