Re: latest proposal on issues #144 and #161 - array encoding

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:07:58 -0500
To: Alan Kent <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
> But if SOAP toolkits are *required* to support the most complex
> semantics of p-t-a for *all* arrays, then I cannot use my native
> programming langauge array (the toolkit cannot differentiate
> because they are the same). I have to build a toolkit specific
> data structure up just for sending an array of integers.

No.  If you want to enable that kind of optimization, then you can
provide an ADDITIONAL API for your customers to use.  And, on the
receiving side, the other application will tell your toolkit "sparse
coming"

I mean, you must have some way for a receiving application to signal to
your toolkit what it wants, otherwise when it sees
	<i>5</i>
You don't know if it's integer, floating point, or string.

Do you only handle typed messages?  That would help me understand your
motivation...
	/r$
Encryption)
http://www.zolera.com