RE: Issue 146 proposed resolution

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:38:49 -0800
To: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Cc: <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>The text you suggest doesn't seem to prevent a node playing
>the role of
>the anonymous actor from acting as an intermediary and relaying the
>message.

Well, it is an attempt of indicating *what* it means to act in the role
of the default/anonymous actor rather than *how* to do it. The reason
for this is that *who* is the ultimate recipient depends on from what
side one is looking.

In the scenario that I brought up some time ago about a front-end server
and a back-end server like this:

	sender  -->  front-end  --> back-end

the *sender* believes that front-end it the ultimate destination. While
this is true, the front-end has off-loaded the actual processing to the
back-end. All three parties are SOAP nodes, it is just that the way the
front-end has decided to process the message is to forward the message
to the back-end server.

In short, this model implicitly supports both intermediaries as well as
gateways. I am concerned that if we don't allow this then we will have
to define a SOAP node as an abstract entity that can contain multiple
nested SOAP nodes which in my mind is much more complicated.

Henrik