Re: Proposal for resolving issue 40: Support resource constrained devices

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:07:45 +0100
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
* Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com> [2001-10-29 14:38-0800]
> Marwan,
> Regarding issue 40 [1] of which you are listed as the owner:
> Proposal: From Marwan: The issues here are: 1) To ensure that SOAP 1.2
> apps work in a variety of environments. Such environments include
> resource-constrained applications. SOAP 1.2 uses other W3C standards. In
> this fashion, SOAP 1.2 is easy to deploy. 2) SOAP 1.2 make use of XML
> standards where appropriate. Such standards include XML namespaces, and
> XML schemas.
> Given our modular design and our XML based "design space" is there
> anything we expect to be able to address more explicitly than what we
> already have?

I am not certain that our current processing model[2], requiring the
node to check that it understands all the mandatory headers before
starting the actual processing, makes the "Incremental
parsing/processing of XMLP messages" usage scenario (S21[3]) possible.

On the other hand, one could argue that a carefully crafted extension
might make this possible (e.g. with some kind of summary of the
upcoming headers, although updating the summary may also prove to be

  1. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.html#x40
  2. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-soap12-part1-20011002/#procsoapmsgs
  3. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xmlp-reqs-20010319/#s21
Hugo Haas - W3C