Re: Summary: Sparse Arrays

From: Alan Kent <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:42:33 +1100
To: "'Xml-Dist-App@W3. Org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> Proposed Actions
>
> [Action-1] Per (a), acknowledge one SOAP Encoding issue: clarify the scope
> of sparse array, two-state, three-state or both.
>
> [Action-2] Per (b), this is a WSDL feature request. Forward this request to
> the to be formed Web Services Description Working Group or request Alan Kent
> to forward this request to the to be formed Web Services Description Working
> Group or take this to the to be formed Web Services Coordination Group.
>
> [Action-3] Per (c), no action is necessary
>
> [Action-4] Per (d), this is an editorial request and [Action-1] will
> determine the nature of this work for editors. I suggest that we make this a
> subsidiary question to [Action-1]

I am happy to do Action-2, but I think it requires Action-1 to be
completed first. Empty slots in a sparse encoded array are identical
to null, then the 'sparseness' is purely an encoding optimization.
In that case, it may be that it is no longer important to identify
sparse arrays as different in the WSDL file.

So I believe Action-1 is the important one.

Alan