Re: Issue 16: methods with void return type and no out params

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 11:31:58AM -0400, christopher ferris wrote:

> While I certainly concur that a response (even if empty/void/null)
> should be received by the initiator (request) of an RPC before it
> is considered to be complete. Since there is nothing in the message
> that identifies the message as following either the one-way or RPC
> convention, how is a generic SOAP processor (designed to support
> both RPC and one-way message semantics) supposed to figure out how
> it is supposed to handle the message?

I think there are two approaches; one can either configure the use of
RPC out of band - i.e., in WSDL, or manually inserting an 'RPC'
module in the code, etc., or by having a small header block that
identifies the message as an RPC request or response.

I'm leaning slightly towards the block...

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/