RE: FW: a question about mustunderstand.

From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:31:12 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I concur with Noah's analysis.

-----Original Message-----
From: Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com [mailto:Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 12:18 PM
To: Kasi, Jay
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: Re: FW: a question about mustunderstand.

I'll just quickly second Doug's analysis.  I think your conclusion #5 is

not supported by the specification, and was not intended by my summary.
had written:

>> Tagging elements in this manner
>> assures that this change in
>> semantics will not be silently
>> (and, presumably, erroneously)
>> ignored by those who may not
>> fully understand it.

I suppose it could be worded yet a bit more legalistically, but I
to not silently ignoring "by those who my not fully understand it."  I
not say "fail to be processed due to misrouting".  Doug's summary is
correct in my opinion, and SOAP only applies mustUnderstand rules at the

point where an actor (explicit or anonymous) has been matched.  In other

words, MU is checked only at the points where software has reason to
believe it should be responsible for handling a particular header block.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142