RE: An analysis of mustUnderstand and related issues

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:42:03 -0700
To: "Doug Davis" <dug@us.ibm.com>, <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Isn't this the case with all new features? If you don't use it you don't
use it. However, as one of the fundamental pieces of SOAP is the
extensibility mechanism adding stuff should not have to impact the core
protocol.

One of the points that Noah brings up is if the extensibility mechanism
indeed is good enough and that is a valid concern. Note, however, that
SOAP is quite clear on that it does not define any ordering mechanism
and it is not at all clear to me that it has to as part of the core
spec.

>Perhaps I wasn't clear - if someone doesn't use the feature
>then they're stuck using the current SOAP spec, and if we
>don't change the current spec then they're also stuck with the
>current ambiguity. So, I believe that whether or not we do a
>feature like this we still need to update the spec. -Dug

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:henrikn@microsoft.com