Re: An analysis of mustUnderstand and related issues

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:45:34 -0400
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Marc Hadley has noted some important and rather blatant errors in the
syntax of my proposal.   I wrote the analysis as if SOAP were structured
as (namespaces and prefixes left off for brevity):

        <Header mustUnderstand="true">

That's just wrong.  I guess it's been too long since I wrote any actual
SOAP messages, and I was rushing too much.  As most of you presumably
know, the correct structure of a SOAP message is approximately:

                <ActionForHeaderTwo mustUnderstand="true">

Marc and I seem to be in agreement that this error, while significant and
a bit embarassing, affects primarily syntax, and not the more substantive
aspects of the analysis and the proposals.  My apologies to the group.  I
will try and produce a corrected version later this week.  Thank you,
Marc, for pointing this out.

----- Forwarded by Noah Mendelsohn/CAM/Lotus on 05/16/2001 09:04 AM -----

"Marc J. Hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>
05/15/2001 12:48 PM

        To:     Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com
        Subject:        Re: Possible error in 'An analysis of mustUnderstand and related issues'

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think there are some syntactical errors
in your proposal. In particular, I believe SOAP/1.1 only allows a single
Header element with multiple child entries. The relevant part of the
schema is:

<complexType name="Envelope">
    <element ref="tns:Header" minOccurs="0"/>
    <element ref="tns:Body/>
    <any minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

The mustUnderstand and actor attributes apply to the direct children of
the Header element, not the Header element itself, e.g.

  <t:transaction xmlns:t="someuri"
  <a:credentials xmlns:a="someotheruri"

In your examples you have multiple Header elements and the text also
talks about multiple Header elements rather than header entries.

Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Tel: +44 1252 423740
Int: x23740

One Rogers Street